Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blog Post #6

 Globe surrounded by people holding handsThe Networked Student

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler opened my eyes to information I'am learning more and more about in this EDM 310 class. I have been up to date with the latest technology for years and always had the latest phones and gadgets. However even though I've had all of these tools, I have been technologically illiterate. When Dr. Strange asked at the beginning of the semester if we were technologically literate, I responded yes with high confidence. I mean I have all the latest gadgets I must be, right? Wrong. This video, along with many other posts so far in this class, I'am continuing to learn the importance of being technologically literate in order to succeed in this fast pace growth of technology.

In Wendy Drexler's video, the question "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" is asked. In my opinion, the teacher should be the expert. Whether s/he is or not, they should be. Students will always need that resource to answer questions they might have. Teachers shouldn't be discouraged or "competing" against technology. We should want to be experts in technology. There is a lot to learn about how to educate students properly when using technology and it is our job as educators in the technological age we're in to be fully prepared.

Am I ready to be a networked teacher? Not at all. EDM 310 was the first I've even thought about how technology influences in a classroom. I have been blind about this kind of stuff. Before now I have only taken my prereqs and not many education classes. I hope to use the resources from this class and really educate myself to be the best teacher I can. I have a lot more to learn but with Dr. Strange and all his networking friends I feel confident I will technological literate.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment

It was neat to see a students point of view in their Personal Learning Environment. Mr. H's 7th grade student and Wendy Drexler created a video to describe the student's Personal learning environment. She has one page of different links to all the pages she uses. For example she has her FaceBook and blogs at top for her personal use. Then her school links at the bottom and all the search engines she uses for research. I really liked the point of view from the student and see how they really enjoy using it. This student said technology gives them freedom but at the same time gives them the responsibility to complete the work on their own. The more I learn about the technological world, the more I want to learn about it and how I can use it effectively in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This class is the start of getting us ready to be a networked teacher. I agree with you I don't think I'm quite ready but I am ready to learn how. There is a lot of information we need before we get in the field.

    ReplyDelete