Wednesday, June 19, 2013

C4T #2

Peopleogy logo for Dr. Deyamport's blog


I was SO excited when I saw I was assigned Dr. Will Deyamport's blog, Peoplegogy for my second C4T! Even though we had no video, I really enjoyed the Hangout session we had with him and was looking forward to learning more about what he had to offer. After introducing myself to him through my first comment, I left a link to my page on Blogger and asked him to visit and feel free to leave feedback. I was surprised he actually did! I've heard before that educators will probably not comment back to us, however not only did Dr. Deyamport comment back to me, he left comments on my own blog posts, followed me on Twitter, and also added me to Google+. He is now a part of my personal learning network that I am building.

The first post I viewed on Dr. Deyamport's blog was titled Youtube Training Video. It was a tutorial video showing all the ways to explore Youtube. He really emphasized the way educators can use Youtube in the classroom and not just how we can keep up with all the Justin Beiber music video. Dr. Deyamport introduced me to a couple of resources that would be helpful to me, the one that really caught my attention was TED-Ed. TED-Ed is the educational channel of TED Talks. I have never heard of TED Talks before but what I was really interested in as an educator, was the TED-Ed. It provides educators with lessons through Youtube videos. I am still exploring the website more and what all it offers.

In my comment to Dr. Deyamport's Youtube video, I introduced myself and told him how excited I was to learn more about the face behind the Hangout session we had in class. I was honest with Dr. Deyamport about my first thought when I saw the title "Youtube Training Video". I was totally closed minded and thought to myself, what more could I possible learn from Youtube when I watch reruns of "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" all the time? Well I was wrong and learned a lesson to keep an open mind because everyone knows education never stops!! I also told Dr. Deyamport about how he taught me about the different channels. I knew before the video that people had profiles once they became active on Youtube, however I never really thought to visit them. Dr. Deyamport showed me different profiles I can use as an educator. Lastly, I thanked Dr. Deyamport for his video and asked him to visit my page and to feel free to leave feedback.....and he did! :)

The next post I viewed on Dr. Will Deyamport's blog was even more interesting to me! This post was titled, Edmodo Training Video. Like the first post I viewed, it was a tutorial on Edmodo. The reason I was so interested in this post was because not too long ago, Dr. Strange assigned us a blog post to find technological tools for our classrooms. I chose Edmodo! I was excited to see an educators point of view on the website. Dr. Deyamport walks his viewers through Edmodo and shows everything an educator would need to know from posting an assignment to creating communities.

In my comment to Dr. Deyamport, I told him about the assignment Dr. Strange gave us and how I chose Edmodo. I explained how I'm active on social media sites and how I really like the idea of having that connection with my students and their parents. I pointed out that one of my favorite parts of this website is that not only can I have teachers I work with in my online community, but also teachers all over the district. I love seeing educators' different points of views and especially right now being so young in the field, I love learning from all the different educators! I did set up an account on Edmodo, however since I don't have the educators, students, etc. to make my communities, I can't really see all the benefits and how to use it fully. I thanked Dr. Deyamport for this helpful video and explained I would be summarizing what I've learned and my comments on a blog post.

I think Dr. Deyamport will visit again and leave his feedback. I am looking forward to learning more from him and about technology in the classroom throughout my journey to becoming an educator!

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    Thank you so much for the kind words. I am humbled. If you are interested, I'd love to do an on air Hangout with you and a few of your classmates. I want to introduce you to Lisa Dabbs (@teachingwthsoul), she is the creator of #ntchat (new teacher chat) on Twitter. There is also an ntchat community of Google+.

    The purpose of the Hangout would be to have you pre-service teachers do a Q&A with Lisa and be able to ask her a myriad of questions. Please let me know if you are interested.

    Thanks again,

    Dr. Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely!! I will talk to my group members so we can come up with some questions! I would love that, thank you. I started following Lisa Dabbs on twitter and I would love to chat with Lisa and yourself!

    Stay in touch and I will talk to my group members for questions!

    Thank YOU!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent addition to your PLN. Well done!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice. I hope to use edmodo in my classes!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete